Wednesday, March 13, 2013

This Isn't What I Meant!

Last night, I was exhausted.

Okay, so that's nothing new. But after a busy weekend of running errands and trying to catch up on things around here, Paigey's 6 month check up at the hospital, and then a long day of babysitting and a library meeting, I was more tired than normal.

Today I'm babysitting a half day and then after school, which leaves me with the morning off from babysitting. However, I had errands to run: activating my new debit card, making a deposit at the bank, and getting some much needed groceries. Trying to do all that with a cranky almost 3 year old on a tight schedule is not easy or fun.

I remember looking at Pete and telling him I would give just about anything to have a morning off to stay home and get things done. Just a morning! I wasn't even being greedy and asking for a whole day!!!

As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I knew I shouldn't have said anything.

This morning, Ryan and I got ready, and I dragged him out of the house kicking and screaming, loaded up the van with our cooler and bags, and off we went.

We didn't get very far.

When I put the van into drive, the van felt funny. I thought it was just because of the temperature changes, it was grumpy. It's an older van, and she's cranky in her old age.

We were driving down the road and were approaching a stop sign.

I started to brake. But I didn't slow down.

I was pushing really hard on the brakes and was able to get down to a coast, but couldn't stop.

My dashboard lit up like Christmas lights, "LOW BRAKE FLUID."

No, really? So very helpful.

Thankfully there hadn't been anyon one was at the intersection and I was able to do a turn around at one of the buildings at the corner. But I couldn't stop.

We slowly started making it back home, but the road we were on is hilly and the end of the road (right across from our house) is not a good intersection. We've witnessed many near accidents over the few years we've lived here, and have even had someone not stop at the intersection and run into our yard.

Let's just say it was the longest few minutes of driving I've had in a loooong time. I'm trying to not panic, and Ryan's freaking out because I made him get in the van to go shopping and then we turn around and head home. He was confused and very upset he wasn't getting his sucker at the bank.

We crawled to the stop sign, still unable to stop. We were blessed by having no cars coming, and we were able to get into our driveway, up the little hill, and finally stop.

I'm frustrated because my cupboards and fridge are still empty-ish, and I have little splatters of brake fluid all over my driveway. We'll now have to find time to fix the van and get groceries, and I'm not sure exactly when we'll have time to do that.

But we are home safe and sound. I'm so glad this happened down the road rather than in the parking garage on Monday, or even while we were out shopping where traffic is much heavier. What more can I ask for?

So off I go to get some jobs accomplished before babysitting kids arrive!

How's your day going? Hope it's a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment